Diary Of The 1813 Campaign
Translated and Edited By Alexander
Source: State Historical Museum, f. 60, op. 3, ed. khr.
2634, ll. 1-7.
Fedor Fedorovich Shubert (1789
– 1865) was born to a German noble family in St. Petersburg. He
began service in the Quartermaster Service of the Imperial Retinue
and served on a diplomatic mission to China in 1805.Returning to
Russia, Shubert rose to a sub-lieutenant in the quartersmaster
service and took part in the campaigns in Poland in 1806-1807,
fighting at Eylau (wounded, earned the Order of St. Vladimir, 4th
class). After recuperating, he joined the Russian army in Finland
and fought at Forsbü, Revelholm and the capture of the Aland
Islands. In the summer of 1809, he took part in the Russo-Swedish
negotiations leading to the Peace Treaty of Fridrixham on 17
September 1809. Shubert then served under the Russian Foreign
Minister Nikolay Rumyantsev and served on several diplomatic
missions to Napoleon between late 1809 and early 1810.
In the spring of 1810, Shubert
joined the Army of Danube and fought at Silistra, Shumla, Ruse and
Batin, where he was wounded and earned promotion to captain and a
golden sword. During the 1812 Campaign, he served as ober-quartermaster
of the 2nd Cavalry Corps in the 1st Western Army and took part in
the actions at Ostrovno, Smolensk, Borodino, Spas Kuplya, Tarutino,
Maloyaroslavets, Vyazma and Krasnyi. For the 1812 Campaign, Shubert
garnered the Order of St. Anna (2nd class) with diamonds and
promotion to lieutenant colonel (29 July 1813). In 1813, he served
with the 2nd Cavalry Corps at Glogau, Lutzen, Bautzen, Reichenbach,
Löwenberg, Goldberg, Katzbach, Zobten and Leipzig, where he earned
the rank of colonel and the Prussian Orders of Red Eagle and the
Pour le Merite.
In 1814, Shubert served in the Army
of Silesia and distinguished himself at La Fère Champenoise and
Paris. In March-December 1814, he served as a liaison officer
between the Russian and Prussian headquarters. In July 1815, he
became ober-quartermaster of the Russian occupation corps in France,
where he remained for the next three years. Returning to Russia,
Shubert became director of the III Section of the Military
Topographic Depot in 1819, director of the Topographic Corps in 1822
and director of the Military Topographic Depot in 1832. In
1829-1837, he headed the Hydrographic Bureau of the Naval General
Staff, rising to major general in 1820, to lieutenant general in
1831 and general of infantry in 1845. He served as general
quartermaster of the General Staff in 1834-1843 before becoming a
member of the War Council in 1843 and head of the Military Academic
Committee in 1846. During his career, Shubert was instrumental in
completing numerous topographic maps and surveys of various Russian
NOTE: Dates in French text are according Julian calendar.
Spelling of words and names are preserved as in original.